Colourful Creations: Meet Courtney Bond
Courtney Bond is an award-nominated hairstylist based in Waterloo. Specializing in pixie cuts and wild colour trends, Courtney’s aesthetic is tailor-made for the world of social media. From her first post on January 1, 2017, Courtney’s following has steadily grown to over 46K — and growing by the day. And as a devoted single mom, Courtney was an easy choice for this issue’s Mother of Influence! Find her on Instagram at @courtneyxcentrichair.
This article was originally printed in the Holiday 2018 issue.
1. TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOURSELF.
My name is Courtney Bond, and I’m a single mom of an eight-year-old boy. I’ve been in the hair industry for over 19 years, and have been working at Xcentric Hair Studio for 17 years.
2. HOW DID YOU GET STARTED IN HAIR STYLING? AND WHAT DREW YOU TO THE SOCIAL MEDIA SPACE?
Originally, I started in the industry as a part-time job, and it led to becoming a career. It wasn’t until 2017 that I got into social media to promote my work. I started my page because I wanted to have full control of my content.
3. WITH OVER 46K FOLLOWERS (AND GROWING) ON INSTAGRAM, YOU’RE OBVIOUSLY MAKING WAVES ON SOCIAL MEDIA! CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SUCCESS ONLINE?
I started my Instagram page with high hopes of making the page big and I found that trying to achieve that has helped my work a lot. With the goal of creating pristine content, I have really improved my craft and that benefits my clients as well.
4. DO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU GET A LOT OF ATTENTION ONLINE?
I think because my photos are usually of my clients and not me, I share the attention with them. I love that because I couldn’t do it without them!
5. ANY TIPS FOR SOMEONE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION IN TERMS OF BUILDING FOLLOWING ON SOCIAL MEDIA?
Consistency in posting and visual esthetic is really important for Instagram. I like to keep my posts really clean, and leave the randomness to the Instagram Stories. The bottom line is that if you have really great content then you’ll do well — and this all begins with being passionate and continuing to grow and improve every day.
6. WHAT’S BEEN THE MOST CHALLENGING PART OF YOUR CAREER?
Balance is difficult because I would love to spend more time with my son, but I would also like to work more. Between parenting and working, I also have to take care of myself and that’s usually difficult to make time for.
7. WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD? IN A YEAR FROM NOW? IN FIVE YEARS?
Having just come off a weekend at a U.S. hair convention, I feel like the possibilities are endless. Somehow I’ve surpassed all of my goals that I’ve made for myself in the past year, so I’m just as curious!
8. COFFEE, TEA OR WINE?
Coffee all week; wine on the weekend.
9. NIGHT OWL OR EARLY BIRD?
10. FAVOURITE THING ABOUT BEING A MOM?
Having the best sidekick ever to do life with.
11. HARDEST THING?
I don’t think about those things.
12. WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT THE REGION?
That we have access to so much here. We can go one way and hit the country in 30 minutes or go the other way and be in Toronto. Our region is like a mix of both, and it’s pretty sweet.
13. FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT IN KW?
Patent Social, Meltwich and Beertown.
14. FAVOURITE THING TO DO WITH THE KIDS IN THE AREA?
Driving from one end of King St. to the other and stopping at anything that looks cool is really fun!